Karna Vidya is a Community Service project of Rotary Club of Madras Coromandel. This project helps visually handicapped students belonging to weaker sections of society. Karna Vidya means learning through ears or hearing. Visually handicapped students have an enormous capacity to learn and accumulate information through their keen hearing capabilities. Currently, the team of Karna Vidya has about 100 students; both boys and girls, and also a volunteer strength of about 150 readers/ volunteers, at the two centres at Adyar and T Nagar. A permanent library and computer centre for the visually handicapped has also started functioning on Saturdays at Adyar.
• ReadingSessions: Regular reading sessions for students at two centres – Bharat School in Adyar and T Nagar on Wednesdays and Thursdays (sometimes extended to Friday in case of examination requirement). The centres are open from 4.00 pm to 6.00 pm . The students listen to the readers and memorize the lessons or sometimes they take notes in Braille for their revision later.
• Recording lessons: Books can be taken from their library and recorded in their own voice in mp3 format. This needs to be stored in a pen drive given by KV and then returened to them. A form of remote volunteering, it requires computer knowledge and ability to read aloud slowly and clearly; as well as basic orientation in how to record a lesson.
• Library Help on Saturdays: Volunteers required to be at the library to help sort out books, handle the students, help them locate the books, maybe read to them, etc.
• Revamping of website: would need a web designer and copywriter
• Help with employment of the Blind students – they are ideally suited for receptionist jobs, medical transcriptions, call centres, teaching. Would require training on the job but are committed.
• Extra-curricular/ Soft Skills – the students do need help in Spoken English, motivational talks, etc. However, the first steps would be in recording lessons and reading to these students.
To know more about the volunteering requirements at this organization click here