The Mahesh Memorial Trust is an NGO based in Chennai, India, working towards creating public awareness about cancer, providing financial aid to economically challenged patients, organizing counselling and support for cancer patients and their families, and supporting any other form of activity associated with the fight against cancer.
The Mahesh Memorial Paediatric Ward was inaugurated April 14th, 2009 at the Cancer Insititute (WIA) Adyar. The tiny tots who will use the modern facilities are housed in this 22,000 sq. ft. building. The facility houses General wards, independent rooms, an ICU, Procedure rooms, Consulting rooms, Telemedicine facilities, Library, Dining room, Meditation room, Montessori study room and a children’s play area. Treating and curing childhood cancer is the focus here. This 50 bed pediatric block caters to the needs of children aged 3 to 10.
For the 25 children who are capable of moving about and look for support and recreation to fight through their illness:
1. Volunteers to support at the Montessori school from 11.30 to 3.30 on weekdays.
2. Volunteers support on Monday and Wednesday – Ms Renuka imparts education from 10.30 to 12.30 at the day care.
3. Volunteer support on Tue and Fri – 10.30 to 12.30 – Mahima an art therapist engages them in healing
4. On Thursday – Jayanthi spends recreation time with children. Require volunteers here to support her with Arts, Music etc
5. On Saturdays: (Chennai Volunteers core group)
a. Volunteers need to be regular or even one time volunteers and Recreation time.
b. Suitable timings are 10.30 to 12.30
To know more about the volunteering requirements at this organization click here