Montfort Community Development Society is an initiative of the Montfort Brothers of St.Gabriel, Province of Yaracuy, South India.
MCDS is a humble but sincere attempt to follow the example of St. Louis de Montfort (1673 – 1716), the Founder of the Montfort Brothers’ Organisation. He equated the service of God with service of man particularly the poor and the disabled.
It is an Integrated Community Development Programme reaching out to thousands of downtrodden and underprivileged in the slums of Chennai and its neighbourhood.
MCDS firmly believes that every child that is helped to learn, every woman helped to stand on her feet, the love and concern shown to an elder, every tear of a sick child wiped, add to the quality of life. That is the way, the only way, to change the world
MCDS has come a long way since its inception in 1996. Began as an NGO reaching out to children with disabilities, MCDS today is among the larger of its kind in the country. We hope this brochure will showcase the different initiatives taken by MCDS to bring dignity and justice to the lives of the weak, the neglected and the poor.
Make the world a better place for the less privileged, particularly women and children with disabilities.
Endeavour to attain MCDS' vision through
1. Focus on community development as a process of sustainable development.
2. Educate children in difficult circumstances through
• Transit Schools
• Supervised study
• Special coaching for school drop-outs and failed candidates and support to schools meant for poor children
3. Empower women in all possible ways
4. Care of the Aged through Senior Citizens' Forum
5. Community Health Care for people affected by the tsunami and those displaced from urban slums
• Volunteers are required to teach the School drop-outs
• Volunteers to help the board exam students to write well
• Volunteers to teach basic etiquette and health and hygiene for the children.
• Volunteers to teach Basic English
• Volunteers to teach Computer Skills
To know more about the volunteering requirements at this organization click here