Arunodhaya believes that all children are born with an inherent right to justice, peace and freedom and deserve access to all fundamental human rights including education, health care, love, respect, security and protection. Hence, protection and promotion of the rights of the children should become an inherent component of all development activities. They work for the following:
• Elimination of child labour in all forms
• Promotion and protection of child rights
• Strengthening and supporting the families of child workers to ensure a quality of life and environment conducive to proper childhood development
• Protection and assistance for child workers and street children who have been victims of abuse and exploitation
• Research and documentation of information on child workers and street children
• Strengthen existing services and provide additional support system for the families of child workers that will help ensure quality life and an environment conducive to the proper development of children
• Network with local national and international groups that campaign against all forms of exploitation and oppression of children
The organization works on the axis on rescue, rehab and protection of street children, child labour and children who are victims of trafficking. This is done through empowerment and learning programs for children, youth and SHGs at activity centres in various slums of Chennai.
• Educational circles – In slums around Korukkupet, tuition centers are facilitated to support students from 9 th class onwards. Volunteers are required to coach on various subjects
a. Timings: 5.30 to 8.30 (PM)
b. Volunteers also required for motivational talks on how to write exams, career guidance, improve learning capacity etc. This could also be done at their weekend centres in project areas like Kodambakkam, T.Nagar etc…on weekends.
• Evening Guide Learning centres: Timings 5 to 7 or 4.30 to 6.30
• In project areas, to coach children from class 3 to 9
a. These children are first generation learners so would require more support
b. In doing so, also to monitor the status of regular school attendance, drop outs etc.
c. SHGs – All in project areas
d. Marketing of products made by SHGs
e. Products range from fishes, artificial jewelry, saree etc.
f. Employment opportunities for Youth groups
g. Motivational speakers for them on personality development
h. Motivational speakers for Staff Development (Internal Office)
i. To help with the organization’s website, marcomm material, etc.
j. Accounts – To look into their accounts
To know more about the volunteering requirements at this organization click here