Maithreyee is an institution committed to the welfare of mentally challenged persons, formed and managed by association of parents of exceptional children. The objective of Maithree is to provide an array of services encompassing the entire life span of the special child / person. What is unique about MAITHREE is that, it is an organization ‘OF THE PARENTS, BY THE PARENTS AND FOR THE PARENTS’, and Maithree’s dream is to become a movement that would ensure acceptance of the special persons in the society thereby bringing dignity to their lives. Maithree has been in existence for 15 years now. It provides special education to around 350 children through its 7 Day-care centers situated in Perambur(50 children), West Tambaram (73), Moolakarai(22), Kolathur (34), KK Nagar, Ullagaram (70) and East Tambaram (35).
The vocational training center for children above 18 years are at Tambaram and Perambur, where they make paper bags, door mats, and incense and safety hand gloves.
1. To assist in teaching at the center.
2. Spoken English sessions for the teachers
3. To teach the children Dance and Music and also Art and Craft. This can be done after school at about 3 pm. Once a week would be ideal. But can be planned according to volunteer’s convenience
4. Sports trainer to coach or facilitate sports and games for the children.
5. Volunteers to take the children on outings like beach, movies, picnic etc.
6. Computer trainers to train their teachers
7. Support in marketing the products made by them.
To know more about the volunteering requirements at this organization click here